Sunday 6 July 2008

Cairns, Cape Tribulation and the Barrier Reef

I thought six days in Cairns would be ample time to see all the sights but time has flown by and I have struggled to fit it all in. I had a lovely afternoon with Paula and her friend when I first arrived, enjoying a sushi lunch and ice creams and catching up on all the news from back home.

The following day I spent a lazy day with friends at the lagoon, topping up my tan before making the most of the all you can eat buffet at my hostel in the evening and playing cards.

Thursday I set off to Cape Tribulation on a tour, stopping off for a walk and a dip at the Mossman gorge on the way and then enjoying an afternoon boat cruise along the Daintree river to spot the crocs sunning themselves. After that we headed up to Cape Tribulation.

Initially I wanted to go on a boat on my free day in Cape Trib out to the Great Barrier Reef but it was fully booked so instead I decided to explore the island, stopping off at the look out, walking along the beaches, dipping my feet in the watering hole (it was too cold to get in) and taking a board walk through the rainforest. The scenery in and around Cape Tribulation is so diverse and absolutely stunning. We were so impressed that our room even got up at 5.30am to sit on the beach and watch the sunrise. A well worthwhile trip.

Saturday despite a big night out in Cairns Yasmin and I got up early to do a free aqua aerobics class in the lagoon (shame on the others for not getting out of bed!). Was due to catch up with Jon on the Saturday morning but ran into him in the club which was a lovely surprise. That afternoon we all headed out to Palm Cove, a nearby beach for the day.

Yesterday Jon and I went on a boat trip to Green Island. The snorkelling off the island was amazing, plus I saw a reef tip shark. Jon did an intro dive but as I had only done mine a week beforehand I opted to just snorkel instead. We also spent a couple of hours on the island exploring and sunbathing before sailing back to meet up with the others for some goodbye drinks as next stop for me is Darwin. Can't believe I have finished my East Coast adventures. I have absolutely loved it and am sad to be leaving Cairns, but at the same time excited about what lies ahead.

No comments: