Sunday 20 July 2008

The Red Centre

The final leg of my 10 day outback adventure was to the Red Centre taking in of course the sights of Uluru (Ayers Rock) and the Kings Canyon along the way.

On the first morning we stopped off at a camel farm (I decided not to have a ride but take pictures instead) before heading to camp just outside Uluru for lunch, passing 'Fooluru' along the way. I can't remember its official name but is nicknamed Fooluru as a few dosy tourists head out to the Red Centre and see a large rock and thinking that it is Uluru take photos and head back, never actually reaching the real thing.

We then headed to Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) for a hike through the 'Valley of the Winds' before spending sunset at a viewing point watching the sun go down behind Uluru and the rock gradually changing colour. Getting redder and redder before going a dull black/brown colour.

That night it was absolutely freezing (minus 1 to be precise) and I barely slept despite wearing all my clothes and a hat and scarf to bed. It could have been worse though as I bumped into my friend Anouk in the showers (I did know she was going to be at the rock at the same time) and when I got back to my camp all the sleeping bags had gone. I thought I was going to have to get in with one of the girls until my guide managed to borrow one off another group.

The next day was yet again an early start as we headed back to Uluru to do a base walk and watch the sunrise. I think this was even more spectacular than sunrise probably because we were so close to the rock itself and could really appreciate its vastness. It is still possible to climb Uluru but as it is against the Aborigines wishes our group decided against it. The photos are quite amusing as I am wearing so many clothes that I resemble a Michelin man!

Afterwards we headed to the cultural centre for a well deserved cup of tea and a look at some of the Aboriginal ladies from the local villages painting some traditional pictures.

That night we camped at Kings Canyon. Although slightly warmer I wasn't feeling that great so dosed myself up before clambering into my swag. It was probably a good thing as at least I wasn't kept awake by the howling dingoes like most.

I also decided to refrain from trying a whittchery grub (those horrible white fat worm like creatures that are eaten on 'I'm a Celebrity'). We stopped on the side of the road after collecting the firewood for that evening and started digging at the roots of the trees looking for a swelling where they live. We only found two, one which Zoe ate raw (tasted like egg yoke apparently) and the other which was later cooked on the fire and passed around (tastes like nuts when cooked allegedly).

Our last morning we headed for a hike up Kings Canyon. It is extremely steep to start and is affectionately known as 'heart attack hill'. The views from the top are yet again stunning although because of its vastness the pictures just don't d0 it justice. Along the route we checked out the 'Amphitheatre' and 'Garden of Eden'.

During our three days at the Red Centre we saw quite a lot of wildlife including a group of wild camels on the side of the road, ferrel dogs, wallabies (mostly roadkill) and eagles.

That night as is customary after a tour the group went out for dinner and joined in a didgeridoo competition before heading to the bar for a few drinks and a dance. After trying a didgeridoo for the first time the night before and realising I couldn't get the technique right I opted out and cheered on my mates instead!

No comments: