Sunday 6 July 2008

The Whitsundays!

The Whitsundays boat trip was amazing. I spent three days, two nights on a classic sailing boat called Summertime with 15 others, cruising around the islands. The first day was a little bit overcast but that didn't stop us enjoying the gorgeous Whitehaven beach and spectacular views, as well as messing about on the beach taking photos. That evening despite our intentions of getting drunk, the sea air had made us all so tired (plus some were still feeling sick from the rough weather conditions) that we were in bed by 11pm.

The following morning we were up early to begin our day of water activities. I decided to do an introductory dive in Luncheon Bay, although as I was listening to the briefing I was getting more and more nervous. The instructor was great and while he taught the other three in my group their skills off the beach I was told just to float on the surface and practice my breathing. After a little while I had calmed my breathing down enough to set off. Although I was extremely scared and held the instructors hand the whole time I was amazed at all the fish and coral we saw and it is definitely something I am glad I experienced.

That afternoon I tried a spot of snorkelling at nearby Mantra Bay which was also absolutely stunning. Plus we saw a huge Mantra ray swim alongside the boat. The final day we went sea kayaking and saw three turtles swim alongside side us as well as loads of other fish and stingers.

When we were not doing water based activity we spent our time eating (the food was great and loads of it), sunbathing, warming up in the hot tub or chatting and watching the sunset. I spent my last night in Airlie Beach with everyone off the boat having far too many drinks and reminiscing, before catching the bus early the next morning up to Magnetic Island.

No comments: