Wednesday 30 July 2008

Melbourne!

Well Melbourne is known for its shopping, restaurants and nightlife so I was looking forward to leaving Australia on a high. After months of sleeping in a dorm and after getting little sleep on the last tour I decided to book into my own room. Although that didn't go quite to plan when I went upstairs only to discover that it hadn't been cleaned. However after a few free glasses of wine and a meal it didn't seem to matter so much!


The next day I headed out to the Victoria Markets to purchase some souvenirs and UGG boots. After that I wandered into the centre to buy a pair of heels as with the weather being colder I could no longer wear my flip flops and my trainers were in desperate need of going in the bin. I then wandered along the Southbank, soaking up the atmosphere before taking the historic tram around the rest of the city.


After a lazy morning, breakfast and another spot of shopping Greg and I headed out of town for a scenic helicopter ride over the city, making use of the vouchers that I had kindly been given by work. We were worried that with the weather being a bit overcast that the visibility might not have been great but we were pleasantly surprised.


The flight was fabulous and we spent 20 minutes cruising over the outskirts of Melbourne, up the coast and over St Kilda before heading into the city itself along the Southbank and getting dropped off on the Yarra river. By the end of it we were both on a high and the photos were great.


That night for Anouks birthday I headed out to watch an AFL match. Not being a sport lover I wasn't too sure but was pleasantly surprised. Although we spent the first half chatting it did actually get quite exciting towards the end, especially when the local team won. After that I headed down to the Southbank for a few drinks to finish off the evening.

My last morning in Melbourne was spent having breakfast with Anouk, Dee, Trish and Carol Ann before heading to the airport to sadly catch my flight to Singapore.

No comments: